Find out more about the process to become a practicing physician in Canada, including how to obtain the Licentiate of the Medical Council of Canada Are you thinking about becoming licensed to practice medicine in Canada?

If so, you will need to meet the following requirements to be eligible for full licensure in every province and territory:

You must hold:
•  A medical degree from a school identified by a Canada Sponsor Note in the World Directory of Medical Schools; OR
•  A Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine degree from a U.S. school accredited by the American Osteopathic Association Commission on Osteopathic College Accreditation; OR
•  A medical degree from a Canadian or U.S. medical school accredited by the Liaison Committee on Medical Education or the Committee on Accreditation of Canadian Medical Schools.
•  You must be a Licentiate of the Medical Council of Canada.
•  You must have completed a discipline-appropriate postgraduate training program in allopathic medicine and been evaluated by a recognized authority.
•  You must be certified by the College of Family Physicians of Canada, the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada, or the College des medicines du Québec.

Source: Federation of Medical Regulatory Authorities of Canada
There are also other routes to licensure in Canada: check with the medical regulatory authority in the province or territory where you would like to practice to review your options. I am internationally trained. What should I do before coming to Canada?
If you are an international medical graduate or international medical student, there are several steps you can take to begin the process of becoming a practicing physician in Canada:

•  Confirm that your medical degree is recognized in Canada
•  Take the online Practice tests
•  Open a account
•  Submit your medical credentials for verification
•  Take the Medical Council of Canada Qualifying Examination (MCCQE) Part I

The MCCQE Part I is a computer-based exam that can be taken at more than 500 test centers around the world. Apply for the MCCQE Part I through your account. If you have not done so already, the system will prompt you to submit a Source Verification Request (SVR) for your final medical degree/diploma (unless you are a student, in which case you will be asked to submit a Student Attestation form as part of your MCCQE Part I application).

What should I do after I come to Canada?
Depending on your career goals and objectives, you might consider doing the following once you have arrived in Canada:
•  Take the National Assessment Collaboration (NAC) Examination
•  Take the Medical Council of Canada Qualifying Examination Part II
•  Join a practice-ready assessment (PRA) program
•  Seek out liability protection

If you are practicing or completing your medical training in Canada, you will need medical liability protection. See the Canadian Medical Protective Association for more information.

MD Internal Medicine
Cardiac Surgery
Diagnostic Radiology
Emergency Medicine
Family Medicine
General Surgery
Internal Medicine
Nuclear Medicine
Vascular Surgery
Public Health and Preventive Medicine
Otolaryngology Head & Neck Surgery
Radiation Oncology
Adult Neurology
Obstetrics & Gynecology
BSc. Nursing
Public Health Science
Master of Public Health Science
Doctor of philosophy